Crumbling buildings and a brackish breeze greet the visitor to Port Antonio. The historic town traces its history to the 16th century Spanish who dubbed the nearby bay Puerto Anton. The Spanish never developed the area and when the British took over, they turned Port Antonio and the surrounding countryside into a major banana export hub.
Three hundred years later, bananas still depart from the docks of Port Antonio, destined for world markets.
At Folly Point, on the eastern edge of the town, a lighthouse built in 1888 continues to guide ships to port. Built of fireproof masonry and fittingly named Folly Point lighthouse, the solar powered structure is visible 13 miles from shore. Its popsicle painted striped walls look almost as delicious as the surrounding cotton candy clouds and turquoise water.
Click on first image below for the slideshow to begin.